Dr. David Andreu
Col·legi Oficial de Metges de Barcelona
Medical license number: 23595
Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery from the Autonomous University of Barcelona, 1987.
Ophthalmology Specialist Training at Bellvitge University Hospital 'Princeps d'Espanya', 1987-1991.
Doctor of Medicine from the Autonomous University of Barcelona in 1996.
Former Associate Professor of Ophthalmology at the Autonomous University of Barcelona (1991-2001).
Former Specialist from the Retina Division of the Ophthalmology Department at Germans Trias i Pujol University Hospital, Badalona (1991-2001).
Master in Integrated Health Services Management from ESADE (1999-2000).
Member of the Vitreoretinal Unit and the Ocular Trauma Unit since 1996.
Director of the Refractive Surgery Unit since 2001.
General Director of ICOftalmologia since 2000.
Medical areas of interest
- Medical-surgical Vitreoretinal Pathology, with exclusive interest in this area from 1991 (the year in which the Retina Department of Germans Trias i Pujol University Hospital in Badalona was inaugurated) to 2001. In 2001, the ICO Vitreoretinal Unit was expanded to employ the 5 surgeons still present at the Unit today: Dr I. Vela, director of the Unit, together with Dr J. Crespi, Dr C. Macià and Dr J. Díaz.
- Refractive and Crystalline Lens Surgery. In 2001, Dr D. Andreu began his refractive surgery period with the inauguration of the ICO LASIK Unit with its many refractive procedures. Today, Refractive Surgery is one of the institution's main departments.
- Dr Andreu currently combines his work in the Vitreoretinal Unit (especially for complicated cases) with his role as Director of Refractive Surgery and is an expert in the many surgical techniques used by this Unit.
- Extensive experience and expertise for pre-crystalline lenses (ICL), multifocal lenses and toric lenses associated with lens surgery.
- Special interest, given his surgical experience in both of the main segments of the eye (the Anterior Segment, with the cornea, crystalline lens and iris, and the Posterior Segment, with the retina and vitreous humour) in all diseases affecting both segments.
- Since graduating from the ESADE Management School, Dr D. Andreu has combined clinical practice with the Management and Coordination of the institution's work teams (financial management, commercial management, operational management, medical leadership, scientific leadership, etc.), with special interest in starting new projects.
Usual surgical activity
- Refractive Corneal Surgery with excimer laser (LASIK, PTK, PRK). More than 8,000 procedures in total since 2001.
- Cloudy and clear crystalline lens surgery. More than 6,000 procedures in total.
- Implantation of monofocal, toric and multifocal intraocular lenses.
- Implantation of refractive pre-crystalline and angle-supported intraocular lenses.
- Implantation of intracorneal rings.
- As reference surgeon: Surgical repair of complications following cataract surgery (posterior dislocation of intraocular lenses, intraocular lens replacement, implantation of iris-claw or sulcus-supported lenses in aphakia).
- Iris repair surgery (pupilloplasty, intraocular lenses with artificial iris).
- Vitreoretinal Surgery (retinal detachment, epimacular membrane, macular hole, proliferative diabetic retinopathy, etc.), since 1991.
- Vitreoretinal and Anterior Segment Surgery due to Ocular Trauma (cornea, iris, crystalline lens, sclera), since 1991.
- Around 3,500 vitreoretinal surgeries in total.
- Member of the Catalan Society of Ophthalmology (SCO)
- Member of the Spanish Retina and Vitreous Society (SERV)
- Member of the Spanish Society of Ophthalmology (SEO)
- Member of the Spanish Society of Implant-Refractive Ocular Surgery (SECOIR)
Created: 16/01/2019 / Updated: 17/02/2021