Dr. José Ignacio Vela
Medical license number: 34128
Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery from the University of Navarra 1998.
Training in MIR Ophthalmology at Vall d'Hebrón Hospital (1999-2003).
Director of the Vitreoretinal Unit since 2005. Member of the Ocular Trauma Unit since 2003.
Head Clinic / Cap Clinic of the Ophthalmology Service of the Sant Pau Hospital, Barcelona since 2017. Medical Consultant of the Retina and Vitreous Unit of the Uveitis Unit of the Ophthalmology Service of the Sant Pau Hospital, Barcelona since 2005.
Research competence by the Autonomous University of Barcelona (UAB) 2001.
Doctor of Medicine from the Autonomous University of Barcelona (UAB) 2016.
Associate Professor at the Autonomous University of Barcelona (UAB).
Areas of interest:
Vitreoretinal medical-surgical pathology, with special dedication in retinal detachment, high myopia and macular pathology..
- Member of the Catalan Society of Ophthalmology (SCO)
- Member of the Spanish Retina and Vitreous Society (SERV)
- Member of EURETINA
- Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery. University of Navarra. Pamplona 1998
- Bachelors degree examination: Outstanding
- OPHTHALMOLOGY Specialist Training, Ciudad Sanitaria Vall d'Hebrón in Barcelona. (1999-2003)
- Postgraduate courses. Certificate of Research Proficiency: Papel de la citología de impresión en el síndrome del párpado fláccido. Autonomous University of Barcelona, 2001
- Doctor in Medicine and Surgery. Autonomous University of Barcelona (UAB) 2016.
- Outstanding doctoral thesis CUM LAUDE
- Title: Study of paravascular lesions in high myopic patients by spectral domain optical coherence tomography
- Specialist in the Vitreoretinal Department at Hospital de Viladecans (2003-2005)
- Vitreoretinal surgeon at Granollers General Hospital (2004-2005)
- Director of the ophthalmic A&E Department of the Condal Institute of Ophthalmology (2007-2009)
Director of the Vitreoretinal Unit at the Condal Institute of Ophthalmology (ICO), 2003 to date. Ophthalmology specialist (senior specialist doctor) Area: Medical-surgical Vitroretinal Section, Hospital de la Santa Creu i de Sant Pau Healthcare Management Foundation, 2005 to date.
- Speaker in multiple national communications and 6 international communications
- 3 prizes at national communications
- 27 publications in national and international journals
- Principal investigator in 3 clinical studies
- Investigator in 8 research projects with 2 FIS projects
- Attendance at many courses and congresses
- Vela JI, Sánchez F, Díaz-Cascajosa J, Mingorance E, Andreu D, Buil JA .. Incidence and distribution of paravascular lamellar holes and their relationship with macular retinoschisis in highly myopic eyes using spectral-domain oct. Int Ophthalmol. 2016 Apr; 36 (2): 247-52.
- Marchino T, Vela JI, Bassaganyas F, Sánchez S, Buil JA. Acute-Onset Endophthalmitis Caused by Alloiococcus otitidis following a Dexamethasone Intravitreal Implant. Case Rep Ophthalmol. 2013 Mar 7; 4 (1): 37-41
- Vela JI, Crespí J, Andreu D. Repositioning of dexamethasone intravitreal implant (Ozurdex (®)) migrated into the anterior chamber. Int Ophthalmol. 2012 Dec; 32 (6): 583-4.
- López G, Torres OH, Vela I, Pomar V. Ocular disease as an onset of disseminated nocardiosis by Nocardia brasiliensis. Med Clin (Barc). 2012 Oct 13; 139 (9): 415-6.
- Cancino R, Vela JI, Sullivan I, Buil JA, Muñoz CA. Regression of late onset choroidal metastasis from a breast carcinoma with letrozole. Case Report Ophthalmol. 2011 Sep; 2 (3): 382-6.
- Vela JI, Andreu D, Diaz-Cascajosa J, Buil JA. Intraocular lens dislocation after whole-body vibration. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2010 Oct; 36 (10): 1790-1.
- Twitter: @nachovelaRETINA